Momma’s Peach Cobbler
· 1 cup white sugar
· 1 cup SELF-RISING flour
· 1 cup milk
· ½ stick of butter (1 full stick, if desired)
· 1 very large can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup
· Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
· In a large rectangular baking dish (15x10, for example), slice ¼ of the stick of butter and spread the butter slices in the dish. Place back into the oven so the butter melts in the dish while you are preparing the cobbler mixture.
· Mix together the sugar, flour, and milk. Mixture will be clumpy, but try to mix until nearly smooth.
· Remove heated dish from oven. Butter should be melted.
· Open can of peaches and pour the entire can (including peach syrup) into the dish. If it doesn’t appear you have enough peaches to spread across the bottom, slice up some of the larger peach pieces or open another can of peaches for extra.
· Spread the sugar/flour/milk mixture on top, evenly coating the peaches and syrup.
· Slice the remaining butter and spread on top, then place into the oven.
· Bake 45-50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
· Pull the cobbler out of the oven and set oven to broil.
· Lightly dust the top of the cobbler with white sugar and place back into the oven, now set on broil. The heat from the broil will brown the sugar. Be sure to only broil for a 2-3 minutes, as the cobbler can burn very quickly under the broil. Your oven might also get smoky during this process, so be prepared for your smoke detectors to go off! :)
· Remove the bubbling cobbler from the oven and let cool.
· If you really want to send your taste buds into the ionosphere, top it off with vanilla bean ice cream when the cobbler is still warm.